On May 2nd Rainbow Families from across Sydney came together for our first face to face event in over a year. The day was all about families being #StrongSafeFabulous, with lots of opportunities for the whole family to get involved with our #StrongSafeFabulous program.
The centre point was a panel discussion featuring parents and kids of rainbow families as well as Family Violence Prevention experts. Renata Field spoke about what she and her partner do to create a loving, safe environment for their son, and asking for help when parenting gets hard. Jules Cross talked about the importance of respect in families, and how they have not been bullied at school because they have two mums. Sina Tehrani talked about our families actively taking part in family violence prevention, and the importance of listening to our diverse communities. For families that missed the panel discussion it is available here.
It was an action packed day with activities for everyone in the family.
- Madame Tussaud brought Troye Sivan along for the day.
- Wild Life Sydney Zoo came with their reptile show and the line up to pat the snake was enormous
- Reverse Garbage run one of their fabulous craft activities for kids
- The face painters did the most intricate face painting we have ever seen
- Drag Storytime with Hannah Conda was a hit, and dancing on the stage with Hannah at the end of the day was a highlight for many families
- Child safety colouring activities reminded families about the simple things they can do day to day to make sure their families are #StraonSafeFabulous.
May 2nd was also International Family Equality Day which we were excited to celebrate with other LGBTQ+ families organisations from around the world. This years’ theme is Families Being Their Authentic Selves, and everyone at our event was definitely able to relax, be with community and be their authentic selves.