All families deserve to be treated with love and respect.
For families where one or more parents are transgender or gender diverse, the everyday challenges of raising children can be intensified by experiences of misunderstanding, exclusion or even hostility and hatred. And there are very few resources available to provide guidance.
We want to change that. Rainbow Families NSW is raising $10,000 to create a series of ground-breaking and life-affirming resources for and with transgender and gender diverse parents. The resources are designed to assist with the process of transitioning in community, relieving much of the pressure transgender and gender diverse parents can experience to educate and inform others.
These resources will be created by transgender and gender diverse parents for transgender and gender diverse parents and their communities.
Transgender and gender diverse parents can struggle to:
· Find the best way to include their partners, children and extended families about the process of transitioning;
· Educate and inform teachers, health workers, colleagues, friends and other members of the LGBTIQA+ community about the experience of being transgender;
· Mediate and support children's experiences at schools, child-care centres and sporting clubs;
· Practice self care and support themselves through the process of transitioning and beyond; and
· Find ways to celebrate the diversity of their families.
While we celebrate our community's support for marriage equality, we ust remember that marriage remains unequal for many transgender and gender diverse couples, with antiquated laws in NSW forcing transgender or gender diverse residents to undergo invasive medical examinations and to divorce their partners in order to apply for a marriage certificate.
We need your help. $5,000 will help us work with experts in a variety of fields, as well as to design, print and distribute resources to support transgender and gender diverse parents.
Rainbow Families is a not-for-profit, volunteer-led organisation based in NSW. The mission of Rainbow Families is to build a community which fosters resiliency by connecting, supporting and empowering LGBTQI families.
Please dig deep and support this project today. We can't do it without you.