Making Rainbow Families
Making your dream a possibility!
Thinking of becoming a parent? Want to know more about your options? LGBTIQ community, same-sex couples, single parents who are LGBTIQ, potential parents who are trans or of diverse gender and sexuality are warmly invited to a day-long seminar that will help you find your way through the maze to becoming a parent.
The interactive and informative seminar will include presentations on Paths to Parenting, including:
- Home insemination - the nitty gritty of DIY!
- Assisted fertility, including invitrofertisation (IVF)
- Workshop for potential parents who are trans or of diverse gender and sexuality - a workshop that explores options and answers questions you may have
- Adoption - is it possible in NSW?
- Fostering - what are the options available for families in NSW? How does the process work? Find out your options and the myths and realities
- Surrogacy - Pregnancy and Conception are easy for some, impossible for others. Surrogacy can be a wonderful outcome for all when the process is managed with care. Come and hear about the possibilities.
Plus Workshops on:
Finding the right health care professional - Know your rights as a health consumer. Tips and ideas on ways to find a respectful and supportive health professional.
Legal rights, legal agreements, children's rights - Love definitely makes a family but successful parenting partnerships need more than love – they need planning, negotiation and sometimes, legal agreements. Come and hear from LGBTIQ legal experts on parenting agreements and donors, life documents, guardians and risk
And then there were 3…or 4, or 5 - Meet a panel of Rainbow Families (parents and children) and hear about their families’ journeys!
Date: June 24
Location: ACON - 414 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills NSW 2010
Time: 9 am to 4:30 pm
Sponsors: Rainbow Fertility, Monash IVF, Dowson Turco, Barnardos
Ticket price of $25 includes: Morning and afternoon tea and full lunch
- 8:30 am: Registration
- 9:00 - 9:15 am: Welcome and Introduction
- 9:15 - 9:45 am: Keynote Speaker Jacquie Tomlins
- 9:45 - 10:00 am: Get to know other prospective parents Icebreaker
- 10:00 - 10:30 am: Are you ready for a baby? Questions to ask yourself. Presented by Jacqueline McDairmid
- 10:30 - 11:00 am: Morning tea (provided)
- 11:00 - 12:30 pm: Workshops (choose 1)
- Making babies – a guide to home insemination (presented by Joanne Perks) and IVF and other assisted fertility (presented by Dr Georgina Tang, Medical Director, Fertility Specialists and Gynaecologist from Rainbow Fertility)
- Surrogacy, an overview of the options
Presented by Sam Everingham
- Trans parenting and Options for those who are sexual and gender diverse
Presented by Dr Bronwyn Devine from Monash IVF
- 12:30 - 1:15 pm: Lunch (provided)
- 1:15 - 1:30 pm: Sponsor Presentation
- 1:30 - 2:15 pm: Fostering options and fostering to adoption, what you need to know. Presented by Joanna Mrakovcic, Barnardos
- 2:15 - 3:00 pm: Legal Session. Presented by Sally Cooper, Dowson Turco Lawyers
- 3:00 - 3:30 pm: Afternoon tea (provided)
- 3:30 - 3:40 pm: Sponsor Presentation
- 3:40 - 4:25 pm: And then there were 3…or 4, or 5: Meet a panel of parents and their children and hear about their journey
- 4:25 - 4:30 pm: Closing talk